- Regular contractions or tightenings. They might feel like really intense period pains.
- Regular, painful contractions that occur regularly and become more frequent, longer, and of stronger intensity.
- Backache—contractions don’t just happen in in the bump area.
- Passing of the mucus plug or what is called a “bloody show” which is a brownish, blood-tinged mucus discharge.
- A sudden urge to use the restroom. This is caused by the baby’s head pressing down on your bowel.
- Your water breaking. This doesn’t always happen before labour. But if it does call the hospital or your healthcare provider as soon as you can.
- Call the hospital if you’re unsure or worried about anything. The labour and delivery team will be able to provide you with the best advice.
- Don’t forget to have your hospital bag packed and ready to go! See our checklist of essentials to include.
Health Link BC. Labour and Delivery. https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-topics/tn9759. Accessed August 2020.
Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada. Pregnancy Info: Labour 101. https://www.pregnancyinfo.ca/birth/labour/labour-101/ Accessed August 2020.
Get full access to expert-backed nutrition support, high-value coupons on our trusted brands and much more!
Free Ready-for-Baby Savings Pack.
Around 35 weeks of pregnancy expect to receive our Baby Pack filled with high-value coupons and useful information you and your baby will love!
Special Member Savings
Receive personalized coupons and savings on trusted products in your email inbox - and home mailbox - as your baby grows.
Expert advice, articles, recipes, tips and tools for all the special, hard and at times hectic days of parenting.
Nutritional guidance for growth
Specialized nutritional guidance and science-based expertise for every stage of the parenting journey - from preconception to toddlerhood.
*When registration is during pregnancy. If your baby’s already been born, expect to see your kit within a month
Still haven't found what you are looking for?
Try our new smart question engine.