- Consider keeping baby’s room minimal and accessorizing with colourful pieces. It’s easy to change some cushions and they will grow out of their crib eventually, but updating the walls and flooring are a bigger task.
- Think about the room itself. Is it on the quiet side of the house? Does it get a lot of sunlight? Is it drafty?
- Check out Pinterest to put together a board of inspiration as well as things on your wish list.
- Make a basic collage (online or with craft supplies) with the items and colors you like. You can then move things in and out to see what works.
- Think about putting in a dimmer switch. Bright lights don’t make sleepy babies.
- Check if you need to oil stiff and squeaky door hinges.
- Consider a crib with adjustable mattress heights or one that will convert into a toddler or twin bed when your child is older.
- Assemble the crib inside the room, it might be too big to fit through the door. This should be in your bedroom if baby is using a crib right away.
- Think about investing a comfy armchair or rocking chair, or even a nursing chair, for nighttime feeds or to soothe baby.
- Consider buying a changing table or get a small dresser and a change table topper that you can safely add on top of it. Don’t forget a changing pad!
- Buy a diaper pail.
- Ensure any nursery furniture that could be pulled over, like dressers and bookshelves, are securely attached to the wall.
- Think about using wall decals. They peel off easily and instantly add colour and fun to the room.
- Consider buying blackout blinds or curtains.
- Buy a lamp or nightlight for late-night feedings or diaper changes.
- Consider buying a baby monitor. There are many options including ones with a built in camera and ones that connect to an app on your phone.
- Buy a room thermometer if your baby monitor doesn’t have this feature. Buy a fan if baby’s room gets hot in the summer.
- Paint the room three months before baby is due to make sure the room is fume-free. Water based or Zero VOC paints are ideal.
- Another fun job when you’re done getting the nursery ready is thinking of baby names! See our checklist for ideas.
Health Canada. Cribs, cradles and bassinets. https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/safe-sleep/cribs-cradles-bassinets.html. Accessed August 2020.
Get full access to expert-backed nutrition support, high-value coupons on our trusted brands and much more!
Free Ready-for-Baby Savings Pack.
Around 35 weeks of pregnancy expect to receive our Baby Pack filled with high-value coupons and useful information you and your baby will love!
Special Member Savings
Receive personalized coupons and savings on trusted products in your email inbox - and home mailbox - as your baby grows.
Expert advice, articles, recipes, tips and tools for all the special, hard and at times hectic days of parenting.
Nutritional guidance for growth
Specialized nutritional guidance and science-based expertise for every stage of the parenting journey - from preconception to toddlerhood.
*When registration is during pregnancy. If your baby’s already been born, expect to see your kit within a month
Still haven't found what you are looking for?
Try our new smart question engine.