- Buy a lanolin-based nipple cream. It will help with those first tender feeds.
- Stock up on nursing pads. Some breastfeeding moms need these more than others - be prepared to buy in bulk.
- Buy several nursing bras.
- Buy nursing covers or nursing tops. They can make access easier for baby and may make feeding more comfortable.
- Consider stocking up on cabbages! Apparently, putting chilled cabbage leaves on your breasts may help to relieve tenderness.
- Talk to your doctor and to friends and family who have breastfed before for advice.
- Consider taking a prenatal class about breastfeeding and read our Breastfeeding for Beginners Guide.
- Find out about local lactation experts or breastfeeding support services in case you and baby need support while you are learning together.
- Learn about optimal nutrition for breastfeeding and postpartum recovery. There are plenty here.
- Stock up on healthy snacks that could keep up your energy while breastfeeding. Find out what to eat when you’re breastfeeding here.
- Continue taking your prenatal multivitamin during your postpartum recovery and for as long as you are breastfeeding.
- Keep your caffeine intake if you need to—but know there’s a recommended limit of 200-300 mg a day (that’s about 2 cups of coffee a day).
- The safest choice for your baby is for you to have no alcohol. It can be passed into breast milk or interfere with your ability to feed or care for your baby.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Consider whether you would like to have breast pump so others can help with feeds at some point.
- Buy a breastfeeding pillow. Some people find these help to support baby and make feeding comfier for mom too.
- Buy burping cloths. Almost all babies spit up to some degree after a meal.
Get full access to expert-backed nutrition support, high-value coupons on our trusted brands and much more!
Free Ready-for-Baby Savings Pack.
Around 35 weeks of pregnancy expect to receive our Baby Pack filled with high-value coupons and useful information you and your baby will love!
Special Member Savings
Receive personalized coupons and savings on trusted products in your email inbox - and home mailbox - as your baby grows.
Expert advice, articles, recipes, tips and tools for all the special, hard and at times hectic days of parenting.
Nutritional guidance for growth
Specialized nutritional guidance and science-based expertise for every stage of the parenting journey - from preconception to toddlerhood.
*When registration is during pregnancy. If your baby’s already been born, expect to see your kit within a month
Still haven't found what you are looking for?
Try our new smart question engine.