- Tempt them with an interesting toy placed on a sturdy/heavy chair or on the sofa.
- Encourage them to pull themselves up to reach it.
- Standing up is often followed by a sudden bottom-plonk back down, so stay close by. (Luckily, diapers provide quite a bit of padding!)
- If your baby’s standing confidently holding onto furniture, try holding their hands to see if they’d like to try walking a couple steps.
- Alternatively, you could encourage them to “cruise” along – taking side steps while holding on to fixed, stable furniture.
- A baby walker can help them start to practice walking away from the furniture.
- Smile and give lots of praise and cuddles for all their attempts, successful or not.
- When you think they might be ready you can kneel a couple of feet away from them and call them to you, holding out your arms and smiling with encouragement.
- Once they’re walking fairly confidently make sure you re-check your home to make it safe from obstacles as well as things that were not in reach before. Have a look at our baby proofing action plan to ensure you’ve covered all bases.
Get full access to expert-backed nutrition support, high-value coupons on our trusted brands and much more!
Free Ready-for-Baby Savings Pack.
Around 35 weeks of pregnancy expect to receive our Baby Pack filled with high-value coupons and useful information you and your baby will love!
Special Member Savings
Receive personalized coupons and savings on trusted products in your email inbox - and home mailbox - as your baby grows.
Expert advice, articles, recipes, tips and tools for all the special, hard and at times hectic days of parenting.
Nutritional guidance for growth
Specialized nutritional guidance and science-based expertise for every stage of the parenting journey - from preconception to toddlerhood.
*When registration is during pregnancy. If your baby’s already been born, expect to see your kit within a month
Still haven't found what you are looking for?
Try our new smart question engine.