- Look out for signs that your toddler is ready to try potty training. This will often somewhere between the ages of 2-3 years, but can be later for some children.
- They may be dry in their diaper for several hours in a row or show an interest by watching you or reading a potty book.
- They might tell you when they’ve done a pee or a poop in their diaper or they might tell you as they're doing a pee or poop in their diaper. A running commentary—lovely!
- They may fidget with their diaper or go somewhere quiet when they need to pee or hide when they need to poop.
- Speak to your daycare about their potty-training policy.
- Don’t attempt to start toilet training when your toddler may be unsettled (e.g. house move, new sibling).
- Let them have diaper-free time during the day, with the potty close at hand.
- Invite your toddler to sit on the potty for a few minutes at set times each day (after meals, before bath time).
- If your little one won’t sit still, try giving them a book to flick through.
- If they are not willing to try at all, see if they are interested in sitting on the grown-up toilet with with a child’s toilet training seat. If they’re not quite ready yet, try again soon.
- Once you’ve started potty training, it can take between 3 and 6 months before your child is totally out of diapers.
- Accidents are inevitable so praise the successes, with lots of encouragement.
- Talk to your doctor if you have any concerns about how potty training is going.
Canadian Paediatric Society. Caring for Kids. Toilet Learning. https://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/handouts/behavior-and-development/toilet_learning Accessed September 2020
Get full access to expert-backed nutrition support, high-value coupons on our trusted brands and much more!
Free Ready-for-Baby Savings Pack.
Around 35 weeks of pregnancy expect to receive our Baby Pack filled with high-value coupons and useful information you and your baby will love!
Special Member Savings
Receive personalized coupons and savings on trusted products in your email inbox - and home mailbox - as your baby grows.
Expert advice, articles, recipes, tips and tools for all the special, hard and at times hectic days of parenting.
Nutritional guidance for growth
Specialized nutritional guidance and science-based expertise for every stage of the parenting journey - from preconception to toddlerhood.
*When registration is during pregnancy. If your baby’s already been born, expect to see your kit within a month
Still haven't found what you are looking for?
Try our new smart question engine.