- Have the whole family eat at a table as much as possible. Read about the benefits of family meals here.
- Even if your toddler has already eaten, sit them in their highchair at the table, and if they’re showing signs of hunger, offer some of the age-appropriate options from the family table.
- Toddlers are little copycats, so make sure they can see you clearly so you can show them how it’s done.
- Give them smaller portions of what the family is eating on an unbreakable plate.
- Talk to them about the meal, its taste, colors, smells, and textures.
- Don’t focus all your attention on them—help them feel included in the discussion with the whole family.
- Trust your toddler to know their own hunger and fullness cues. Don’t worry if they don’t clear their plate.
- Do offer a variety of healthy foods, for baby and the whole family.
- Don’t switch on the TV or have phones or screens during mealtimes.
- If eating out, try choosing times when your toddler will be awake and ready to eat. Some restaurants are more kid-friendly than others.
- Make sure the restaurant is kid-friendly with highchairs, child-sized meals, and child-friendly plates and cutlery.
- If they have a tantrum in a restaurant or café, try taking them outside or to a quiet corner for a moment. They could just be overwhelmed by the sights, sounds, and smells of a busy environment.
Get full access to expert-backed nutrition support, high-value coupons on our trusted brands and much more!
Free Ready-for-Baby Savings Pack.
Around 35 weeks of pregnancy expect to receive our Baby Pack filled with high-value coupons and useful information you and your baby will love!
Special Member Savings
Receive personalized coupons and savings on trusted products in your email inbox - and home mailbox - as your baby grows.
Expert advice, articles, recipes, tips and tools for all the special, hard and at times hectic days of parenting.
Nutritional guidance for growth
Specialized nutritional guidance and science-based expertise for every stage of the parenting journey - from preconception to toddlerhood.
*When registration is during pregnancy. If your baby’s already been born, expect to see your kit within a month
Still haven't found what you are looking for?
Try our new smart question engine.