- Look out for frequent watery poop. This is a sign your toddler has diarrhea. Speak to your doctor for advice.
- Wash your and your child’s hands frequently and practice good hygiene to prevent it from spreading.
- Rehydrate your toddler after every bout of watery poop with 100-200ml of fluid.
- If your child is not taking fluids well, speak to your doctor. They will likely recommend an oral rehydration solution.
- Look out for dark, strong smelling pee, as this can be a sign of dehydration.
- Do not give your child sugary drinks, like fruit juice or sweetened beverages, carbonated drinks, tea, broth or rice water. These don’t have the right balance of water, salts, and sugars and may make the diarrhea worse.
- If your child is having frequent diarrhea, make sure they are drinking an ORS and eating bland foods. Speak to your doctor.
- Keep your toddler home from daycare until 24 hours after their last bout of diarrhea and they are otherwise well.
- Regular bowel movements are important to your child’s health. Signs of constipation are if your toddler doesn’t poop at least three time a week or if poops are hard and dry or painful to pass. Speak to your doctor if you think your toddler is constipated.
- Give your toddler a variety of whole grains, fruits and vegetables and more water each day. Children should have no more than 120 ml of 100% fruit juice per day.
- Make sure your little one stays active as this can help the bowels to keep moving.
- Teach your child not to hold in a bowel movement and help them get to a toilet quickly when they need to.
- A gentle toddler tummy massage—moving hands clockwise—after a warm relaxing bath can help constipation to pass.
- Don’t give any over-the-counter medication for toddler constipation unless recommended by your doctor.
Canadian Paediatric Society. Caring for Kids. Dehydration and Diarrhea in Children. Prevention and Treatment. https://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/handouts/dehydration_and_diarrhea Accessed September 2020.
Get full access to expert-backed nutrition support, high-value coupons on our trusted brands and much more!
Free Ready-for-Baby Savings Pack.
Around 35 weeks of pregnancy expect to receive our Baby Pack filled with high-value coupons and useful information you and your baby will love!
Special Member Savings
Receive personalized coupons and savings on trusted products in your email inbox - and home mailbox - as your baby grows.
Expert advice, articles, recipes, tips and tools for all the special, hard and at times hectic days of parenting.
Nutritional guidance for growth
Specialized nutritional guidance and science-based expertise for every stage of the parenting journey - from preconception to toddlerhood.
*When registration is during pregnancy. If your baby’s already been born, expect to see your kit within a month
Still haven't found what you are looking for?
Try our new smart question engine.