- Children like consistency. Set clear rules and stick to them.
- Praise when they get it right, ignore when they get it wrong.
- Give them easy tasks they can do by themselves (putting on their wellies, tidying toys away).
- Give your child many opportunities for physical activity and exercise.
- Give your child simple choices about what to do (red or blue shirt, teddy or train, banana or apple).
- Instead of saying “No”, give them something more interesting instead. This is called distraction or redirection. For example, “Why don’t you try this instead?”
- Stick to a daily routine with regular meals, naps, playtime, and quiet time, whenever possible.
- Make sure their bedtime routine is calming and consistent.
- Keep shopping trips short to avoid boredom and public meltdowns.
- Try to distract when you see something brewing. Timed right, a silly noise, funny face, or toy-swap can stop a tantrum in its tracks.
- If it’s too late and a tantrum starts, try to stay calm.
- Be comforting. Cuddles can crack the toughest nut. Sometimes a little security is all they need.
- Don’t give in—your toddler’s pretty smart and if they think it’s worked, they’ll try it again.
- Hug it out when it’s over. Tantrums are a normal healthy sign of development and they won’t last forever.
Canadian Paediatric Society. Caring for Kids. Positive discipline for young children. https://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/handouts/positive-discipline-for-young… Accessed September 2020.
Get full access to expert-backed nutrition support, high-value coupons on our trusted brands and much more!
Free Ready-for-Baby Savings Pack.
Around 35 weeks of pregnancy expect to receive our Baby Pack filled with high-value coupons and useful information you and your baby will love!
Special Member Savings
Receive personalized coupons and savings on trusted products in your email inbox - and home mailbox - as your baby grows.
Expert advice, articles, recipes, tips and tools for all the special, hard and at times hectic days of parenting.
Nutritional guidance for growth
Specialized nutritional guidance and science-based expertise for every stage of the parenting journey - from preconception to toddlerhood.
*When registration is during pregnancy. If your baby’s already been born, expect to see your kit within a month
Still haven't found what you are looking for?
Try our new smart question engine.