1. Relax! Sleep problems are often linked to anxiety, which may increase as your baby’s birth approaches. Don't hesitate to speak to your doctor or your midwife about this; they will be able to reassure you.
2. Why not do gentle exercise, such as prenatal yoga? Sleep problems can be related to a lack of physical activity. Prenatal yoga can also help you relax and become more aware of your mind and body. Read more about exercising during pregnancy.
3. During the third trimester, avoid lying on your stomach or back to sleep. It’s best to sleep on your side – preferably the left side, which will help increase blood flow to your placenta and baby1.
4. Eat light meals that are easy to digest. Avoid rich or fatty foods. Learn more about food choices for a healthy pregnancy now.
5. Avoid drinking caffeinated beverages (like coffee or tea) later in the day. Instead, opt for non-caffeinated drinks, like water, milk, or coconut water. Fresh fruit juices are nutritious, but can contain more sugar than you need – to combat this, add some veggies or try diluting it 50:50 with water.
6. Don't start tidying up your home just before you go to bed, as this might unsettle you! Give preference to calm and relaxing activities, such as a bath, a massage, a little reading or a little walk in the garden or the street. It is up to you to find your preferred activity!
7. Make sure that your bedroom is tidy and well ventilated, as this may help you sleep!
8. Try to go to bed at your regular time or even a bit early. It is essential to give your body time to rest.
9. If possible, don't hesitate to take a little nap for about fifteen minutes during the day. Don't worry - this should not prevent you from sleeping at night!
10. If these solutions don't work, talk to your doctor.
Get full access to expert-backed nutrition support, high-value coupons on our trusted brands and much more!
Free Ready-for-Baby Savings Pack.
Around 35 weeks of pregnancy expect to receive our Baby Pack filled with high-value coupons and useful information you and your baby will love!
Special Member Savings
Receive personalized coupons and savings on trusted products in your email inbox - and home mailbox - as your baby grows.
Expert advice, articles, recipes, tips and tools for all the special, hard and at times hectic days of parenting.
Nutritional guidance for growth
Specialized nutritional guidance and science-based expertise for every stage of the parenting journey - from preconception to toddlerhood.
*When registration is during pregnancy. If your baby’s already been born, expect to see your kit within a month
Still haven't found what you are looking for?
Try our new smart question engine.